Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Dissolving Structure

-->

-->
Adam's artist statement:

I've been known to paint some expressionistic and impressionistic views of famous cities around the world, especially our beloved Bean Town. I'll throw the occasional fantasy-based painting in there for my own enjoyment too. However you slice it, I'm painting our world and worlds existing in my mind the same way, with gestural, expressive emotion.
In the past few years, I started to focus on painting what a scene feels like, not necessarily what it literally looks like. So there would be elements of reality, mixed with elements of other worlds, dreams and nightmares. When painting a landscape, I'll sketch from life, use pictures and then work from memory. Things look familiar, but they seem like a memory, because I always put the finishing touches on a piece without focusing on what it looks like; I portray what it feels like, what I remember about it. What's the point of painting something exactly how it looks? You might as well take a photo.

Now in 2014, I have a slightly new plan. It's an amended plan to what I have been up to in recent years. I'll take this "paint what you feel mantra," add oil paint, and add a new perspective. I want to paint everyday urban scenes that have some familiar subject matter, but painted through the eyes of someone from another dimension. I'm using color as value. I'm using alien color schemes. I'm abstracting scenes more. I'm not limiting my decision making to stay within the boundaries. In short, when I have an idea, I paint it without a second thought. The first idea is always the most exciting.

DISSOLVING STRUCTURE
New Work by Adam O’Day
Cassandra Complex Gallery
398 Commercial St. • Provincetown, MA
Reception: June 13, 2014, 7-9 pm
Show Runs: June 10-June 23

No comments:

Post a Comment